Thursday, February 12, 2009

Frigerator- Raider


Last night I came home from work and noticed my fridge was growling at me. A deep, dark, dying growl. I so did not want to tell Ken. So I tried to find the problem myself. Opened the fridge no big change. Still cool in there. Open the freezer.... growl is much much louder. And the walls on the freezer are vibrating slightly. Culprit is freezer. I tried pushing on the walls of the freezer thinking maybe they are just a little loose. Helped a little. I really didn't want to tell Ken so I tried to make it quieter. I put a blanket around the fridge. Yes, it helped. But there was a blanket around the fridge. Magnified the problem spot instead of hiding it. I decided I had to tell Ken when he got home. He had the exact response I thought he would have, "What did you do to it?" What a dumb question. Like I actually DID something to the fridge that made it mad and now it is growling at me. Get real. So, Ken decided to take apart. Now THAT'S doing something to it. After an hour or so of looking at the inside belly of our fridge Ken came to the conclusion that he didn't know what was wrong with it. Well, at least we're all in the same boat now. Ken immediately figured we needed a new fridge. I told him it sounded like the fan motor was making all the noise. (I took at the instruction manual and read the troubleshooting. Apparently this happens often.) Ken agreed and figured a new fan would probably be 100 bucks. Wrong. It was $15! That's it. Ken replaced it. We were so excited to turn it back on and revel in all the money we just saved. Plugged it in. It kicked on. "ggggggGGRRRRROOOOOOWWWWLL!" Still angry with us. Ken was defeated. He said he would call a repairman the next day. He did. The man came and announced our fan was chipped and was rubbing against the side of the fridge. That's it. We didn't even have to buy a new part. We did have to pay the man $65 for a 5 minute repair call. Supply and demand. Gets you every time.
Now our fridge is once again living peaceably. Seating quietly in the corner. Doing it's job without complaint. We love you fridge and we appreciate all you do for us.

**This post was started about 3 weeks ago.

No comments: