Monday, February 6, 2012

Parlez vous Koley?

Kole talks all the time now... and I have NO idea what he is saying.  I used to just make it up.  Kole would say, "Abba neeno bui bui bui?"
And I would say, "Oh you want some milk and a book and a blanket?"
And then round up those items.
Or Koley-doo would say, "Shma Shma ooble."
And I'd say, "Yeah!  If you go get your shoes on we can go outside."
But over the weekend Ken said something that brought me back down to earth.
Kole was looking at Ken and said something like, "Oy! Dagg winka bee bee."
I was already to chime in with a, "It's not time for lunch yet."  (Where I get this... I really don't know.)
And Ken says, "Kole, I don't think you're speaking English."

And then it dawned on me.  Yeah.  I don't think so either.
I get the whole talk to your kids and that's how they learn to speak and be the excellent mother.
But... really I think I was taking it too far.

Sure, he's saying something.  But it's not English.

  

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

When Squirrel was 2-3 years old she spoke the same way. The only way we could understand her was if her 3-4 year old brother "translated" for her. It worked.

One day we took her to the doctor for a check up and it turned out her ears were blocked [with wax]. What they took out of her ears was amazing - we couldn't believe that much wax could be so far down in her ear canals and not cause her pain - but the minute it all came out she was chatting away - in English! - and hasn't stopped since.

I am not saying anything is wrong with Kole, but we didn't realize it with Squirrel b/c she was so happy and healthy all the time. She just thought the muffled sounds she heard us making was the language and how to speak it.

Jeannie said...

A la Skippy...our oldest just plain didn't talk - only had a few words and they were not right - muk for milk, doos for juice - like that. He'd had ear infections which ended up affecting his hearing - and required the little tubes. His hearing wasn't entirely fixed but he was speaking in complete English sentences within 2 weeks.

Mind you, the twins would talk together in twinese and laugh...