Friday, January 23, 2009

I Need a Hearing Aid


Ken is always saying that he married an 80-year-old woman. He is referring to me. I am incredibly hard of hearing. I had this problem since I was but a child. I flunked every hearing test from kindergarten on. Every one! When I was in 3rd grade I had tubes put in my ears. They should have just installed permanent hearing aids. The classic "deaf" moments of me when I was little are:


Mom: "Patty, there's the tape. On the table."

Patty: "GIRLS! GIRLS! THERE'S CAKE ON THE TABLE!"
(yeah... I got a bad sweet tooth on top of it all!)


Mom: "Uncle Thom is getting a divorce."

Patty: "Yay! Uncle Thom's getting a horse!"


You've got to admit- what I heard was much more exciting than what actually was said. The problem has stuck with me right up to the present day. And it's getting worse. A few weekends ago Ken and I went to Action Motor Sports to look at the motorcycles, snowmobiles, and quads. On the way home:


Ken: "Do you want a snowmobile?"

Patty: "Sure, I'll snuggle a little."


Snowmobile. Snugglealittle. Sorta NOT the same. I need a hearing aid.

5 comments:

Karlenn said...

Hahaha! That made me laugh. I'm the same. Have you ever read the Mrs. Pigglewiggle books? I love the chapter in the one about "I Thought You Said..." I'm famous for "I Thought You Said"-isms. So is my mom. So you're in good company.

johnandjana said...

Patty,
I have the same trouble. It made me laugh so that was way good. You are too cute and fun! Never change. Ken is a lucky guy.

megan said...

Haha! That was funny! I'm horrible at hearing too, but not that bad! LOL

Rebecca Kavel said...

Awww, I’m sorry about your hearing problem! I do hope you can get it checked out for a more permanent solution soon! There are inexpensive and discreet hearing aids nowadays. I’m sure there will be one that will be just right for you!

Rebecca Kavel

Serena Outland said...

Haha! I don’t mean to be laughing at your hearing problem, but that was just hilarious and adorable! On a more serious note, I hope you can get your ears checked out and fitted for hearing aid devices soon! It’ll make your life a lot less complicated, for sure! Good luck!

Serena Outland