Friday, January 23, 2009

I Need a Hearing Aid


Ken is always saying that he married an 80-year-old woman. He is referring to me. I am incredibly hard of hearing. I had this problem since I was but a child. I flunked every hearing test from kindergarten on. Every one! When I was in 3rd grade I had tubes put in my ears. They should have just installed permanent hearing aids. The classic "deaf" moments of me when I was little are:


Mom: "Patty, there's the tape. On the table."

Patty: "GIRLS! GIRLS! THERE'S CAKE ON THE TABLE!"
(yeah... I got a bad sweet tooth on top of it all!)


Mom: "Uncle Thom is getting a divorce."

Patty: "Yay! Uncle Thom's getting a horse!"


You've got to admit- what I heard was much more exciting than what actually was said. The problem has stuck with me right up to the present day. And it's getting worse. A few weekends ago Ken and I went to Action Motor Sports to look at the motorcycles, snowmobiles, and quads. On the way home:


Ken: "Do you want a snowmobile?"

Patty: "Sure, I'll snuggle a little."


Snowmobile. Snugglealittle. Sorta NOT the same. I need a hearing aid.

5 comments:

Kar said...

Hahaha! That made me laugh. I'm the same. Have you ever read the Mrs. Pigglewiggle books? I love the chapter in the one about "I Thought You Said..." I'm famous for "I Thought You Said"-isms. So is my mom. So you're in good company.

johnandjana said...

Patty,
I have the same trouble. It made me laugh so that was way good. You are too cute and fun! Never change. Ken is a lucky guy.

Anonymous said...

Haha! That was funny! I'm horrible at hearing too, but not that bad! LOL

Unknown said...

Awww, I’m sorry about your hearing problem! I do hope you can get it checked out for a more permanent solution soon! There are inexpensive and discreet hearing aids nowadays. I’m sure there will be one that will be just right for you!

Rebecca Kavel

Unknown said...

Haha! I don’t mean to be laughing at your hearing problem, but that was just hilarious and adorable! On a more serious note, I hope you can get your ears checked out and fitted for hearing aid devices soon! It’ll make your life a lot less complicated, for sure! Good luck!

Serena Outland