Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lady Ga Ga

When I was pregnant I decided I never wanted to talk to my baby in "Baby Talk."  All the sugary goo goo gaa gaa schlumbo makes my skin crawl and my ears burn.  I felt like as a responsible parent and contributor to society I needed to educate my offspring on how humans interact with each other.  How they speak and communicate.  I don't hear adults going over statistics in a board meeting with over-inflated voices.  Reaching screechy-highs and making their voices sound like tickles.  Probably because they would all have headaches after 5 minutes.  So!  It was no baby talk from day one.  Now.  I constantly offer words of encouragement.  I drench Kole in praise.  He has a very strong support team.  I use very positive speech and phrases because I believe I am already shaping his self-esteem.  You may disagree- but the great thing is he is my baby.... so what you think doesn't matter that much.
Lately though, I have slipped into a rotten little habit.  It's more annoying than rotten.  It's annoying me and I can't stop.  When I talk to Kole.  I put a -y on to everything.  Kole-Y.  Jump-Y. Horse-Y.  So I end up saying in a normal toned adult voice.  Would you like-y to jump-y in your horse-y, Kole-y? Would you like-y to eat-y some baby food-y?  Do you want-y some oat-ies?  Take a napp-y in your crib-by.  Let's change-y your diap-y.  Look-y!  There's Kole-y!
Oh.  Gosh, Patty, Do you HEAR yourself?  It's Gross.  And that G most certainly should be capitalized.  You should capitalize the whole word it's that GROSS.  You are disgusting.  It's worse than baby talk. 
Make it stop.  Make it stop. 

5 comments:

Ohh So Pretty!! said...

hmm

Julia Marcum said...

HAHAHAHA! Chris and I add -y to everything! We have embraced it. Greta, want a bathy? Sippy? Walky? lunchy?

DoublClik said...

I love that picture! Look at your shiny hair and his cute-Y patoot-Y face! Cant wait to squeeze him!

DoublClik said...

Thanks for the shout out!

Kar said...

Maybe that's why Kole looks at me like I'm crazy when I talk to him, because I'm definitely guilty of the baby talk.